How to Write a CV: your Sales Document
Your CV is one of the most important documents you will have. It is your Sales Document.
Download a sample of a Perfect CV
Download a CV template to useImportant Points to Remember:
- It must catch the reader's eye, as you will probably only have 20/30 seconds to attract their attention.
- Layout must be clear and simple, enabling the reader to find the information they need quickly.
- Ideally keep the CV to 2/3 pages.
- Keep sentences short and punchy.
- Use bullet points to break up the text under section headings.
- Avoid over written long paragraphs and sentences.
- Include enough detail about previous jobs and experience.
- Shout your achievements!
- Employers need to know the benefits of employing you.
- Briefly describe what your company does and state turnover, size.
- Check CV carefully for errors before sending. Tiny errors can detract and make you look careless and lazy. Preferably get someone to check it, as they are most likely to spot errors.
- Use white or cream paper.
- Do not include any thing that might be considered as a failure.
- Do not show salary.
- Do not use fancy borders or coloured paper.
- No photos unless you are aiming to be a model or actor.
- No ring binders (particularly frustrating for recruitment consultants).
- Do not enhance results.
- Password your CV
- Do not write CV in Excel
- Be able to provide referee details easily and without hesitation.
- If you have left your previous role under a cloud, be upfront and honest, no one likes this type of surprise. At the same time provide backup “positive” referees.
- Be able to provide confirmation of academic results or at least how one can verify results
- We need to know where you are currently working.
- If it's not obvious by your name, we need to know gender.
- If you email we need to be made aware that's its ok to reply by email or by phone.
- We need contact numbers not just a home number.
- Research has shown that CV's are best written in Aerial 10/11. Easiest to read.
For more career advice and career opportunities ring Priority Placements on +353 1 665 0461